The purpose of the Local Innovation Hub is to serve as a framework for learning and the sharing of knowledge relating to the energy sector across the three counties of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk and to the Eastern region as a whole.
The objective is to find solutions to the challenges that the region faces from an energy standpoint, led by the input of Local Authorities (LAs), regarding such matters as:
- The growth of community energy projects and ensuring that the benefits of these are monetised for local residents and businesses
- The challenge to the electricity network regarding the integration and assimilation of battery storage assets and electric vehicles (EVs)
- The deployment of smart grid technologies in such a manner that benefits the electricity network and local residents and businesses
- The increased deployment of renewable and low carbon generation assets and how to manage this alongside local energy demand from a balancing and network perspective
- The growth of non-traditional business models as decentralised energy assumes a greater role in the national energy mix
The overarching intention is to create an environment in which these and other challenges can be addressed in a manner that yields real-world solutions that can applied to the benefit of the region.